Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Clearing the land

The first tree coming down
This weekend was very exciting - the excavator and crew showed up on Saturday morning to begin clearing the land. We watched all day as trees, shrubs, vines, and old appliances were hauled out. We've found some interesting stuff - old bottles, tires, and even an old washing machine! It's been there so long it has actually fallen apart. It took us a while to even figure out what it was. As exciting as it was, I admit to being a little sad that the place my sisters & I used to play was no more; I am also feeling a degree of "environmental guilt" over cutting down all those trees. Once the house is up we'll plant some new ones to replace those that we had to get rid of. By now the crew is almost done clearing, and they are supposed to start digging for the foundation today. I am very nervous about this part. There is a granite ledge that runs beneath the property, and there's no way to know how far down it is until they start digging down. If they hit ledge where the foundation needs to be that is not a good thing. So keep your fingers crossed for us please! The kids & I are headed out in a little while to watch the crew work...Hopefully the next post will be about the foundation.



view from what will be the backyard out to the street
Taking out logs

No comments:

Post a Comment